Thursday, November 15, 2007

A reply to: and a justice for all...

I completely agree with the author of this article, there should be other forms of justice other than executions. But then again I have to contradict myself because some do need that sort of punishment. Though I don’t think it is the correct way to punish anyone, and I don’t think anyone has the right to take life away. I believe God is the only one to give and take life away.
Texas punishment is tough I have to agree on that but sometimes the punishment given is not given correctly. For example, stealing 2 dollars in Texas could get you a life sentence, while other things that are more of a crime get you less time.
In regards to the appeals process, if Keller had not shut the door at five o’clock and had taken the appeal, than Texas would seem weak. Since the judges are elected they have to be tough and show that they take punishment seriously. The way they receive their punishment though should not be based on their gender or their race. Punishment should be equal and also equal to the crime that was committed.
The appeals via email might help but if the defendant’s life is on the line I don’t see why they should wait until the last minute to turn in the appeal.
Overall I agree with the article and found some very interesting points.

No comments: